Photoshop editing – altering a bouquet

Floral arrangement of 12 red roses with green leaves between the flowers - before photoshop

Many people associate the term ‘photoshopping’ with a process of turning natural beauty into an artificial look with all blemishes removed. While Photoshop can be used for this, the program can also be a useful tool in a variety of different applications. This case study serves as a prime example.

 

The Challenge

I have been employed at the flower company Interflora for around two years. During my time there, we would typically have two peak periods: Christmas and Valentines Day. As you can imagine, the demand for roses, specifically red roses, would rise.

One of Interflora’s subbrands, Flying Flowers, was hosting a large variety of Valentines bouquets. The photography for this range was typically taken months in advance and processed shortly afterwards. This meant we were well prepared when Valentine’s week arrived. However, as sales would rise during Valentines, flexibility was key. We would remove bouquets that were sold out and would promote certain bouquets to push sales.

The team had ordered a large quantity of one particular bouquet. We expected this bouquet to serve as an valuable option for last minute sales. However, during the final days of the peak, we ran into a problem. Our star bouquet had issues with the supplier: while the roses were still available, the decorative leaves used within the floral arrangement were now sold out. We had to alter the contents of the bouquet to keep selling it to customers. However, the photographs we were using on the site no longer matched the actual contents.

 

Response

As we had no time available to arrange a new photo shoot, I was asked by my colleagues to use photoshop to rectify the problem. This task was significant: the leaves were part of the bouquet and would cover the roses we were looking to retain. Three tasks were at hand. Using photoshop, I had to cut out the leaves carefully,  fill in the empty space, and recover those areas of the roses that were covered by the leaves.

I started by carefully cropping out, retaining as much as possible of the space surrounding the leaves. My next task was to fill in the missing parts of the roses. I used a variety of tools to achieve this. As the rose had to be shown in close up format, this had to be pixel perfect. After all the roses were succesfully recovered, I filled in remaining empty space in the middle. I used the natural leaves of roses to fill this in and achieve a natural look.

The team was happy with the result and carried forward with the ‘new’ bouquet. The flowers continued to sell well in the remaining days.

 

Learn more about photo manipulation services